Tuesday, 22 January 2013
Lately in the news....
I was in the hospital last week which is the reason why I could not update this blog for a while, so I decided to make a sort of mixed post about the issues that were in the news while I was out of action.
The thing that dominates the news daily here in the UK is of course the weather.
The winter has finally arrived and with it a lot of the white stuff fell out of the sky. Snow is something that the Brits cannot deal with. Even a couple of inches will bring the whole country to standstill, nothing works, they can’t drive in it (well of course you can not drive in snow on summer tires) schools close, hospitals cancel surgeries and appointments cause the staff is not able to come to work, planes are delayed because of the snow on the airports...... It is kind of funny how it takes them by surprise every year even though they KNOW it is coming, the MET office gives quite an accurate predictions these days.
I remember when I first came into this country, it was very rare to get snow in London, but the past 5-6 (at least) years it came every year, so it is about high time the Brits get used to it and learn to deal with it. Instead of the moaning about it and blaming the council for not cleaning the sideways, they should make it a rule that every house/shop/business is responsible for the bit of the pavement that is in front of them.... that is how it works in every country that I know off.... you are responsible for cleaning your bit of the footpath, while the council will be responsible for the bits that got no houses/shops/businesses by them, and parks and clearing the roads.
Another thing is the winter tires - it is a law in Europe to have winter tires on your car. They make it safer or even just possible for you to actually drive on a snowy or slippery surface....
Oh well...... maybe in a few decades they will realize.
Another big news story that dominates the news is the hostage crises in Algeria. While I do feel sorry for the victims and their families, I don’t get why everyone is so surprised by this situation - everyone involved KNEW what they were getting themselves into when they accepted the job in that country.... While I understand that in this economic climate you would make this choice, they obviously got to pay loads for anyone to go to one of those countries, I will never get people who actually chose to go on holiday there (or to any of those muslim countries)
You got to be pretty much crazy or out of your mind to go there, endangering your life and more importantly, other people’s (who will be involved in your rescue should you be kidnapped) lives! It is just wrong to go there.......
There are so many other places, safer places that you could go to, no need to put yours and other people’s lives at risk!
Another story that I find kind of amusing and took me by no surprise is Lance Armstrong FINALLY admitting what everyone knew for a very long time, and what was proven several times -that he indeed took performance enhancing drugs and that he is a cheat! What I especially find hilarious is how he lied over and over for many years while competing and getting all those trophies and yet he is surprised that he got a lifelong ban from competing and he thinks that this decision is harsh!?! Seriously?!? You think it’s harsh?!? WOW...... who the hell would ever trust you again? And why should you be allowed to compete even more when you only just admitted what you did, and I don’t think you still realize how wrong it was what you did..... After all, you have been fighting the drug accusations in court for years hoping that you can actually get away with it!!
In other news:
There are still mentions of Kate’s pregnancy and also William and Kate’s new house. How Kate is going to extreme lengths to make her new house “invisible” and private by adding large trees and shrubbery to it to make it harder for the photographers...... well love, if you wanted to have a private life you should NOT have married a prince.
You can’t exactly have it both ways!!
Barack Obama was inaugurated as the US president for another 4 years with all the top “celebs” like Beyonce, Jay Z (fuck knows who he is but it was in the news), Katy Perry and Kelly Clarkson (and many others) present and gave another speech with loads of bullshit promises *lol* we all know that he can do fuck all, and is only a puppet - but whatever rocks his boat.
Unfortunately the Americans did not really have a great choice for whom to vote - so he is the lesser bad from two bad choices....... oh well...... guess we will just have to survive the next 4 years and see who will emerge then.
Well there were many other news too..... but these were the few that caught my attention for now..... and ....... I can’t be arsed to write anymore now.
Feel free to comment on whatever I said here, would be interesting to see other people’s opinions.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment